Sunday, January 9, 2011

 Shine On
Mixed Media on Arches Cover Paper
14" x 14"
(framed dimensions)
$110.00 plus $20.00 shipping
(see Purchasing Info on the sidebar)

I'm not going to lie.  I felt very much in the weeds with this painting.  I was excited by the strong light in the reference photo I had taken, but quickly realized the difficulty in tackling it and trying to capture a likeness as well.  As soon as I let go of the latter, things began to take an upward turn, however.  And, when all was said and done, it did end up looking a bit (kinda, sorta, maybe just a little) like Derek - nephew and twin brother to Jesse (see 1/2/11 post).  Just kinda, sorta, though...

9 comments:

Katie Wilson said...

Strong painting. Nice texture to it too.

Ruth Andre said...

Kathy, This is a wonderful portrait. Wow!

Brenda Ferguson said...

This painting has a mystery to it...and a passion I sense in all your portraits. Not easy lighting and you pulled it off successfully!
Have your nephews seen these yet? They're going to flip!
Bren

Karen Bruson said...

My thoughts, exactly. Very strong painting. Love the color palette.

Kathy Mallat said...

Your kind words are so very much appreciated! They (and you!) help to keep me going. Thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

i think the subject looks very dashing and handsome...and the painting is pretty good looking too;) luv ya aunt kathy.

Kathy Mallat said...

Dashing? Handsome? Yep...sounds like a young man I know and love! ;)

Anonymous said...

hideous. not the painting. the subject matter. glad to see that ole thumb injury hasn't affected your painting skills!

Kathy Mallat said...

Oh, such brotherly love, Jesse! ;)